Radiant Skin: Winter Skin Must Have's

11:16 PM




The key to selecting skincare for radiant skin is to know how to test products, when to introduce them to your routine and my biggest tip..keep it simple. From serums to balms, hydrating mists and that one ingredient every skincare line promotes as their holy grail that will take years off of your skin....the skincare section can be all too overwhelming. Remember, not all skin is created equal, what may work for one person may not work for another. It is all about what works best for you!

 How do you choose? Trial and error to begin with, if you never try it, you will never know....this applies to all areas of life but especially skincare. Sticking to the same old products our grandmothers used may not be what is best for us. 

Here are my 5 golden rules to choose the best skincare for you: 

1. Know your skin type.  Remember this can change based on the season. I tend to be oily-dehydrated...yes that is a thing! If you listen to your skin, it will tell you what it needs and what it doesn't want. I am very much into self care and listening to your body is essential to not only a healthy lifestyle but also glowing skin from head to toe.

2.  The sniff test: I test each skincare product by smelling it first. I am not a fan of strong floral or medicinal scents and many times the best skincare isn't that fragrant at all. Fragrance can not only be high in toxins but can irritate the skin immediately or over time. The only time I dismiss the strong scent is when I am using a pure essential oil, the highest grades of oils have natural strong scents.

3.  Ingredients: This is a loaded topic. One woman's botox is the next woman's bee venom. I personally prefer more green, toxin free skincare yet carry a wide range of products from mainstream beauty brands in my professional makeup kit. 
Skin is our largest organ and many of us forget being it lives on the outside of our bodies. Most pay attention to what we put in our bodies but not on our bodies. There are so many options from luxury skincare lines in department stores, originals at the drugstore and the specialty curated at your local boutique or apothecary. Also, marketing scheme 101...many brands highlight one particular ingredient that will change your life, erase pores (not possible, pores are what they are), wrinkles, texture and every other natural process of life that comes with the privilege of what I like to call, growing up.
 Remember there are a host of other ingredients living in that jar. 

4. Introduce Products one at a time and give them 3 weeks to do their magic. Changing out one product at a time is crucial to knowing how it is performing and if you are having a reaction or breakout. This will save you the stress of returning it and starting over again with something new. I always suggest to my clients to start with their overall face moisturizer for evening. Our skin repairs itself while we sleep and an evening moisturizer is what assists with the overall health of our skin.

5.  Keep it simple. I have many clients whose medicine cabinets look like an apothecary. If your skin can handle constant change in skincare and you love trying new brands as they launch, enjoy it and do you. Personally and professionally, I like to keep it simple. Begin with an all over moisturizer for day, eye cream and a moisturizer for evening. Over time add in a serum or face oil. Less is more in the beginning and when you get into the daily habit of skincare you can always increase your skincare routine as you go along.  Remember, this is a personal choice, begin with what you feel is best. 

Below are a few products that have my 3 T's rating. Tried, True and Trusted.
*Click on images below to Pin or Shop*





Derma E Nourishing Rose Cleansing Oil. I live and breathe by this product. Cleansing the skin with oil is not only soothing but also hydrating. Two pumps in the palm of your hand and this magical oil will melt makeup including mascara, making it easier to wash off the makeup with a cleanser. I have been known to throw this in the ends of my hair as well, especially the past few weeks! Chicago has gone from Summer to Winter with the snap of a finger and dry season is upon us.



Elemis 'Pro-Radiance' Illuminating Flash Balm. My VIP of skincare in my professional makeup kit. Unlike lotions, skin balms contain less water and are made up of  antioxidants, essential oils and plants extracts. Essentially, all of the good stuff. You really get what you pay for with this product. I use it on many of my brides and celebrity clients. Also the scent is calming and light, which I love and so do my clients! Anytime I begin to apply this on the skin my clients eyes light up and they express their love for the scent number one and two, how amazing their skin feels after it is massaged in. Be sure to bring down your neck onto your collar bone, chest and around the back of your neck. 

Keihl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado. Who doesn't love avocados?  My number one recommendation of eye cream to clients, especially my brides. This amazing eye product contains powerful hydrators like avocado oil and shea butter. When used nightly, I have seen a drastic difference in the skin around the eye in only a few weeks. Gently tap into the orbital bone around the eye area before bedtime. While asleep the product will naturally move around on it's own. 





Acure Nourishing Body Lotion. Head, shoulders, knees and toes! Don't forget the skin on the rest of your body. Acure Body lotion line is one of my favorites for so many reasons.  Not only is it hydrating but contains one of my favorite ingredients, argan oil. It is also vegan, sulfate, paraben and cruelty free. This product is considered natural and using this on my body daily gives me the comfort of knowing I am choosing a less toxic lotion for my overall skin health. 


I believe in balance in skincare, not all of the above products are vegan, natural or non-toxic. Do your research and find what bests suites your lifestyle and skin needs and remember, love the skin you are in.











You Might Also Like

0 comments

Pinterest

Subscribe